bundlebuilder changes (was Re: Sugar on Fedora 10 Alpha - how to I run it?)

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 23:39:02 UTC 2008

Michael Stone wrote:
> Marco,
>
> I don't understand yet how,

The specific change I'm proposing is to install .mo files (translations)
in they standard system location, /usr/share/locale.

> why,

Fedora has a script which handles translation packaging and it obviously
expect things to be in their normal system location. Another approach
would be to provide specific scripts for Sugar activities. But I think
installing things where they are supposed to be when using rpm is a
cleaner fix. And I think in general it would better to use the standard
system paths whenever it's possible.

> where,

This is a change to bundlebuilder, the build script which is used by
most activities. It only applies to system installation, not to .xo builds.

> and when

Unclear. Depends on the reaction I get about the approach etc. I
enumerated several possibilities on the ticket, there are surely more.

> you're proposing to
> change the installation patterns for activities, their translation data,
> source code,

The only way this affects source code is that the .po files are not
shipped in the rpm.

> etc, nor what effect your proposal may have on the ability
> of OLPC to use the Fedora activity packaging guidelines to get itself
> out of impending activity-related dependency hell.

I know nothing about this plan. You should write an RFC about it. It's
way more ambitious and complicated than what I'm proposing. The OLPC use
cases and requirements are very different from normal Fedora/yum usage.

Without knowing more about what you are planning in concrete, I have no
idea if this change make things worst or better than what we have now in
this respect. Can you elaborate?

> Therefore, before committing your changes to Sugar, could you please
> more fully explain the details of your proposal so everyone has the
> opportunity to reflect on its impact? (Something PEP-ish or RFC-ish
> would be most appreciated.)

I'm happy to document it on the wiki as soon as I've got more feedback
about the general approach. The change is very simple (I hope I managed
to clarify what is exactly, otherwise please ask away), but it can have
interesting consequences. I hope discussion here, on the ticket and on
the Sugar mailing list will provide some good thoughts about it.

Marco