bundlebuilder changes (was Re: Sugar on Fedora 10 Alpha - how to I run it?)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 00:18:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> The specific change I'm proposing is to install .mo files (translations) in
> they standard system location, /usr/share/locale.

This is a problem-space well explored by the GNUStep packaging in
Debian and right now being discussed in Fedora-devel too. We aren't
breaking new ground on this at all...

So I assume the approach will be based on the GNUStep approach? If you
ask me, I'd guess that Sugar would support both the self-contained
bundles for easy d/l and exchange, but also handle RPM-installed
activities that are not in a self-contained bundle, but laid out in
FHS-compatible manner.

One big win in Sugar defining a FHS-compat layout would be stemming
the risk of different distros picking different paths. This could
happen for GNUStep packages if Fedora decides to go a different way
from Debian -- and if it does happen it will probably be quite jarring
for the GNUStep upstream.

cheers.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions