[katello-devel] RFE -> Promotion should show only unpromoted packages

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 18:36:52 UTC 2012

On 07/20/2012 02:30 PM, Mike McCune wrote:
> On 07/20/2012 08:52 AM, Partha Aji wrote:
>>
>> One of the annoyances with browsing contents in the promotions UI is
>> that shows too many packages including those that have already been
>> promoted. So example scenario is some one promotes a huge product and
>> then want to selectively promote the updated packages, but for that
>> they'll have to navigate through pages and pages to see the few
>> packages that have not been promoted.
>>
>> Recently with some of the data model changes in content search, its
>> now possible to only show packages that have not been promoted. I
>> wonder if it makes sense to have that as the default filter in the
>> promotions page.
>>
>> Another thing to consider here is with Content Deletion we'd want to
>> see all the packages in the current environment, but OTOH with
>> promotions we'd only want to see what has not been previously promoted .
>>
>> Any thoughts ?
>>
>> Partha
>>

> +1, but not in the near term.  Lets add it to our backlog

+1 to this, but I feel like we need to tackle some issues with not being
able to easily select unpromoted packages on that screen.  Currently if
you have ~6000 packages and 5 of them are not promoted, you may have to
scroll through 5000 just to find some that aren't.   Either some sort of
filter to only show unpromoted, or simply just only show unpromoted if a
'promote' changeset is selected.  We may not need to tackle the issue as
part of content deletion, but I would argue its a serious enough of a
problem to tackle in the more short-term.

-Justin