[Open-scap] OpenSCAP 1.2.0 coming soon

Martin Preisler mpreisle at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 16:52:10 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

I would prefer an -rc release for now perhaps. But that probably wouldn't
help.

> So, I will try to build a development version in COPR environment, until
> you resolve the issues you need to resolve.

That would be great. I have re-planned some tasks and put higher priority
on openscap changes.

> Regardless, I have to disagree with the comments regarding the stability
> of the new release. I simply don't understand them. You keep referring
> to master branch as 'breaking release' or 'step back from responsible
> upstream'; I am sorry that you feel it that way. I have tried hard to
> not break things, I went extra mile when re-engineering the parsers
> during September to ensure that there are no headaches going forward.

This is simply a misunderstanding. I have no problems with your changes,
I think they are great, as I have remarked many times. Currently I am
having a hard time understanding why you came to this conclusion.
It's almost impossible to make such big changes to the internals without
breaking some use-case and you came pretty close. What I was getting at
was the speed at which we are pushing out new feature releases.
openscap 1.1.x will be very short-lived, don't you agree? We only
released a single patch version!

I simply want to push for more long term planning, where long term
doesn't mean 2 months. At this pace we will be maintaining tens of
feature branches in a few years.

> I am sorry that you are having hard times rebasing scap-workbench to new
> API. I didn't dropped a single API call. I only deprecated couple of
> them. I made sure to keep all the deprecated calls working. So, I am
> surprised, there are problems.

I am not having a hard time, but I am having "a time". As anyone who
is using the API would. This is *absolutely normal* and expected.

--
Martin Preisler