Data-driven apps enhance the customer experience, drive customer satisfaction, improve retention, and increase purchasing. But today more than ever, application developers face significant implementation challenges. Red Hat® JBoss® Data Grid gives you a straightforward approach to overcoming data obstacles so you can:
- Handle unprecedented transaction volumes.
- Meet high uptime requirements.
- Deploy into hybrid cloud environments.
- Quickly access accurate, real-time information.
- Streamline interaction with complex and rigid data tiers.
A data grid is an in-memory distributed database designed for fast access to large volumes of data and scalability. Data grids commonly provide a complementary layer to the relational database and the application.
Key characteristics of a data grid:
- In-memory, distributed caching
- Elastic scalability
- Advanced querying
- Data replication
- Processing for streaming data
- Transaction capabilities
Easily find objects
Querying lets you easily search and find objects without needing to know the object's exact location in the grid.
Quickly process large volumes of data
Distributed execution and the map/reduce API let you process large volumes of data and support long-running compute apps quickly.
Overcome the constraints of traditional relational databases
A schema-less key/value store (NoSQL database) provides a simple, flexible way to store different objects in memory without a fixed data model.
Maintain high datacenter availability
Cross-datacenter replication provides high availability across geographically distributed datacenters.
Easily access and share data
Multiple access protocols with data compatibility means any sort of app—legacy or new, Java™ or native, in-memory or remote—can easily access and share data in the grid.
When you purchase a subscription to Red Hat JBoss Data Grid, you get an in-memory data grid that lets your data-driven applications perform and scale as required while giving you flexibility to meet immediate and long-term goals. You also receive:
- Red Hat JBoss Operations Network, a management platform that offers monitoring, provisioning, and advanced management capabilities for your entire Red Hat JBoss Middleware implementation.
- Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio, an integrated development environment (IDE) for building rich web apps, transactional enterprise apps, and service-oriented architecture (SOA)-based integration apps.
- Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, a Java EE 6-compliant middleware platform that integrates JBoss Application Server with high-availability clustering, messaging, distributed caching, and other technologies.
- Red Hat JBoss Data Virtualization, a data integration solution that lets you access and integrate multiple data sources and transform data into logical, business-friendly data models.
- Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio Portfolio Edition, a pre-assembled IDE that includes access to all Red Hat JBoss technologies.
Based on Infinispan, the popular JBoss Community project, Red Hat JBoss Data Grid is appropriate for any type of application that has heavy compute needs. It’s the ideal choice to boost modern apps and meet tough requirements of high performance, availability, reliability, and elastic scale.
In-memory data grids, like JBoss Data Grid, accelerate application performance by providing elastic scalability and high availability. But, as data grids rise in strategic importance, they're increasingly being used to store sensitive enterprise application data. If you're storing sensitive data in the grid, Red Hat JBoss Data Grid offers:
- Secure communications between client and server, and between server nodes in a secure cluster.
- Authentication between client and server and between nodes in a secure cluster.
- Role-based authorization and access control integrated with existing security and identity structures, giving only trusted users, services, and applications access to the grid.
Many applications struggle to adapt to surges in read and write requests during events like seasonal business spikes, marketing and promotions, and external market changes.
Red Hat JBoss Data Grid gives you:
- A cost-effective, nondisruptive way to achieve elastic scale and guarantee required response times.
- A simple way to add or remove nodes.
- Assurance that your data remains distributed and replicated, while being processed in the background.
Most companies have diverse IT environments. Applications and infrastructure are on premise and in the cloud, with a combination of legacy and contemporary systems. Red Hat JBoss Data Grid gives you the flexibility to innovate faster—in a smarter way—to meet both immediate and long-term IT goals. You can:
- Avoid vendor lock-in and free up IT budget with a straightforward, more cost-effective subscription compared to scaling up the relational database or proprietary data grid technologies.
- Gain the flexibility to deploy your data, your way by connecting the data grid to any application and any platform via multiple protocols (for example, REST, Hot Rod, and memcached) and a Java API.
- Deploy Red Hat JBoss Data Grid as a data abstraction layer to decouple the application, the cache, and database and gain control over the life cycle, maintenance, and costs of each component independently.
- Add a distributed data store to your data virtualization platform. As a data store, JBoss Data Grid can connect to Red Hat JBoss Data Virtualization, letting you integrate data located in JBoss Data Grid with your other data stores for actionable information and business insight.
- Case study: True breaks vendor lock-in without compromising performance
- Analyst paper: Improving application scalability with in-memory data grids
- Datasheet: Red Hat JBoss Data Virtualization
- Competitive brief: Red Hat JBoss Data Grid 6.2 compared with Oracle Coherence Grid Edition 12.1.2
- Competitive brief: Red Hat JBoss Data Grid 6.2 compared to Terracotta BigMemory Max 4.1
Applications are often tightly coupled to proprietary, closed databases, preventing your business from being as flexible as it needs to be. Red Hat JBoss Data Grid acts alongside the application and its relational back-end stores to provide complementary services and lower the reliance on traditional databases. Red Hat JBoss Data Grid:
- Eliminates single points of failure with distribution and replication to meet high uptime requirements.
- Provides a cost-effective, scale-out solution to accommodate large volumes of data.
- Stores unstructured data unsuitable for storage in relational database systems.
- Works with existing relational databases to cache existing data stores and keep data transactions consistent and available in the store-of-record.
Let Red Hat Consulting help you successfully deploy Red Hat JBoss Data Grid. We offer flexible engagement models to help meet your IT goals. Have unallocated end-of-year budget? Consider using Consulting Units to secure resources you'll need in the upcoming year—without committing to a specific topic up front.
- Enterprise Data and Storage
- Take control of your organization’s data and storage.
Collaboration is a pillar of the open source community. And it’s how Red Hat approaches support. Connect to Red Hat Support to access industry-leading technical resources available in our award-winning Red Hat Customer Portal anywhere, any time.
In keeping with the open source way, we like to keep the lines of communication open. So whether you're a customer or just interested in learning more, connect with us. We're eager to answer questions.
- Contact sales
- Our sales representatives are knowledgeable, friendly, and always ready to help.
- Find a partner
- Find a Red Hat partner that sells Red Hat JBoss Data Grid or related applications.
- Red Hat JBoss Data Grid
- Red Hat JBoss Operations Network
- Red Hat JBoss Data Virtualization
- Technology overview: Solving big data challenges with Red Hat and Intel
- Technology brief: An introduction to in-memory data grids
- Competitive review: Red Hat JBoss Data Grid 6.2 compared with Oracle Coherence Grid Edition 12.1.2
- Competitive review: Red Hat JBoss Data Grid 6.2 compared to Terracotta BigMemory Max 4.1
- Technology overview: Solving big data challenges with Red Hat and Intel
- Technology overview: Red Hat JBoss Data Grid
- Red Hat JBoss Data Grid performance factors
- Red Hat JBoss Data Grid: The perfect solution for big data and application performance
Use Red Hat JBoss Data Grid in any type of application that requires heavy interaction with the data tier. It has broad industry appeal and performs especially well in high-transaction apps. Typical use cases include:
- Retail and e-commerce: B2B partner-procurement data and consumer catalogs
- Financial services: options and stock-trading performance optimization
- Media and entertainment: on-demand video and data management
- Telecommunications: real-time billing and management of data services
- Transportation and logistics: tracking, routing, and delivery operations
- Travel: bookings, reservations, and order processing
Learn how organizations are using data grids to meet their business goals: