ProductsDesktop Server For Scientific Computing For IBM POWER For IBM System z For SAP Business Applications Red Hat Network Satellite ManagementExtended Update Support High Availability High Performance Network Load Balancer Resilient Storage Scalable File System Smart Management Extended Lifecycle SupportDeveloper Studio Portfolio Edition Web Framework Kit Application Platform Web Server Data Grid Portal Platform Red Hat JBoss A-MQ Red Hat JBoss Fuse SOA Platform Business Rules Management System (BRMS) Data Services Platform Messaging JBoss Operations Network JBoss Community or JBoss enterprise
SolutionsApplication development Business process management Enterprise application integration Interoperability Operational efficiency Security VirtualizationSolaris to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Migration overview Migrate from your UNIX platform How to migrate to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Upgrade to the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux release JBoss Enterprise Middleware Benefits of migrating to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Migration services Start a conversation with Red Hat
TrainingPopular and new courses Red Hat JBoss Administration curriculum Core System Administration curriculum JBoss Middleware Development curriculum Advanced System Administration curriculum Linux Development curriculum Cloud Computing, Virtualization, and Storage curriculum
ConsultingBusiness Process Management Cloud and Virtualization Custom Software Development Enterprise Data and Storage Systems Management Migrations
Red Hat Further Expands Open Source Portfolio With Introduction Of Red Hat E-Commerce Suite
RaleighUnited States, August 29, 2001
Market Leader Introduces Comprehensive Open Source E-Commerce Platform for Red Hat Linux to More Cost Effectively Meet the Needs of Mid-Sized Enterprises
Red Hat, Inc. (Nasdaq:RHAT), the leader in developing, deploying and managing open source solutions, today announced Red Hat E-Commerce Suite. The E-Commerce Suite is an open source offering that helps mid-sized businesses build and manage their e-commerce applications more rapidly, more cost effectively and with greater reliability and customisability.
Red Hat E-Commerce Suite bridges a significant gap among current e-commerce solutions, which are either too limited in functionality and customisability or too complex and costly. Based on the integration of proven open source technologies, this unique offering provides a new option to businesses and offers rapid deployment for companies needing to migrate or just getting started in e-commerce. Customers will benefit from the reliability, flexibility, and performance of proven open source technologies, and from the security of buying from a trusted, expert vendor.
"Open source operating systems, Web servers, and databases have established themselves as a powerful force for the enterprise, and open source platforms are beginning to deliver the same benefits - flexibility, functionality, and performance - to a greater audience," said Dr. James Neiser, chief marketing officer, Red Hat. "With the introduction of a complete set of robust e-commerce products and services, Red Hat continues to deliver the business solutions its customers demand."
"We've been extremely pleased with Red Hat's offerings," said Aron Benon, CEO of bricks-and-clicks retailer, Florist.com. "Red Hat helped us move quickly and cost effectively from a low-end e-commerce platform to a rich, highly customised solution that allowed us to become much more effective in our online efforts." Benon added, "Red Hat has given us many of the benefits of high end e-commerce platforms, but without the cost or complexity."
Features of the Red Hat E-Commerce Suite include:
- Interchange 4.8, a brand new version of the most mature and robust open source, e-commerce platform available today. With over 5 years of development in the open source community, more than 10,000 developers participating, and thousands of sites using the technology, Red Hat Interchange delivers robust functionality, reliability, and performance;
- CommerceLauncher, a Web-based configuration tool which rapidly guides users through the installation and configuration of the entire E-Commerce Suite, enabling users to get up and running in a matter of hours;
- Secure Webserver powered by Apache;
- Red Hat Database, an open source database solution based on PostgreSQL 7.1 and optimised for Web applications and Red Hat Linux 7.1;
- Red Hat Linux Operating System 7.1, the latest release of the world's most popular, award-winning Linux operating system;
- Red Hat Network, Red Hat's online subscription service, which dramatically reduces the cost of deploying and managing an infrastructure through continuous software update and management services for open source offerings.
Additional added value services in the Suite include:
- Integration, optimisation, and testing of proven open source technologies: Red Hat Interchange, Red Hat Database and Red Hat Linux;
- Documentation for Interchange, Red Hat Database, Red Hat Linux and Secure Webserver;
- 12 months of product updates and upgrades;
- 12 months of Red Hat Network for Red Hat Linux;
- 3 hours of developer consulting during the first 30 days;
- 30 days of telephone-based support;
- 12 months of Web-based support.
In addition, Red Hat will offer several new options for enhanced E-Commerce support and services. These include:
- Multi-tiered support options for the implementation and use of the E-Commerce Suite;
- Professional consulting, to help businesses with the creation of their Web site from the planning stages through execution;
- Managed hosting services for hands free management of E-Commerce Suite sites;
- A range of training programs aimed at enabling technical and business professionals to get the most from the E-Commerce Suite.
"The Red Hat E-Commerce Suite fills a significant gap between expensive, complex enterprise e-commerce applications and entry-level e-commerce offerings," said Michele Rosen, research manager for Application Development and Deployment at IDC. "Because it's based on established open source technologies, the Suite provides functionality and customizability similar to that found in high-end e-commerce applications but at a price within mid-sized businesses' budgets."
Pricing and Availability
Red Hat E-Commerce Suite will be available from September for