ProductsDesktop Server Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform For IBM POWER For IBM System z For SAP Business Applications Red Hat Satellite Management For Scientific ComputingExtended Update Support High Availability High Performance Network Load Balancer Resilient Storage Scalable File System Smart Management Extended Lifecycle SupportAccelerate Automate Integrate Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio Portfolio Edition Web Framework Kit Application Platform Web Server Data Grid Portal Fuse Red Hat JBoss A-MQ SOA Platform BRMS Data Services Platform JBoss Operations Network JBoss Community or JBoss enterprise
SolutionsWhy Red Hat Why open hybrid cloud? The new IT Public cloud Cloud resource library Private cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) Cloud applications and workloadsSolaris to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Migration overview Migrate from your UNIX platform How to migrate to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Upgrade to the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux release JBoss Enterprise Middleware Benefits of migrating to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Migration services Start a conversation with Red Hat
TrainingClassroom training Red Hat Online Learning Virtual training Remote classroom training On-site team training Online Learning LabsPopular and new courses Red Hat JBoss Administration curriculum Core System Administration curriculum Red Hat JBoss Middleware Development curriculum Advanced System Administration curriculum Linux Development curriculum Cloud Computing, Virtualization, and Storage curriculum
ConsultingSOA and integration Business process management Cloud and Virtualization Custom Software Development Enterprise Data and Storage Systems management Migrations
Red Hat Customers Highlight Transformative Technology Deployments in Sixth Annual Innovation Awards
RaleighNC, Global, June 25, 2012
Global Award Finalists Illustrate How Red Hat Solutions Drive Innovation and Business Results
RALEIGH, N.C. and BOSTON – RED HAT SUMMIT AND JBOSS WORLD 2012 – June 25, 2012 – Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced the finalists in the sixth annual Red Hat Innovation Awards. The awards program recognizes customers, partners and communities for their outstanding use, innovation and extension of Red Hat solutions to solve unique business problems today and in the future.
The Red Hat Innovation Awards finalists are recognized in seven separate categories, and category winners were selected by a panel of experts and ranked based on the uniqueness, complexity and magnitude of their Red Hat implementation. The panel of experts included: Joe Brockmeier, editor/writer, ReadWriteWeb; Lee Congdon, CIO, Red Hat; Jim Kaskade, Stealth Startup CEO, PARC EIR, GigaOM analyst; Jay Lyman, senior analyst, Enterprise Software, 451 Research; Scott Merrill, contributor, TechCrunch; and Craig Muzilla, vice president and general manager, Middleware, Red Hat.
The seven Innovation Awards category winners will compete for the 2012 Red Hat Innovator of the Year and will be recognized during Red Hat Summit and JBoss World 2012 in Boston. The 2012 Red Hat Innovator of the Year will be selected by the community via online voting and announced during a special awards ceremony hosted by Red Hat president and CEO Jim Whitehurst on Thursday, June 28.
The 2012 Red Hat Innovation Awards winners include:
- UNE EPM Telecommunications – UNE EPM Telecommunications is Colombia’s leading provider of IT and communication services. High-quality services based on cutting-edge technology has given UNE a competitive advantage in the Latin American market, helping create a customer base of more than 5 million. During the past three years, UNE standardized on Red Hat solutions. Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Director Server’s reliability and high-availability has provided UNE with a comprehensive platform for its entire IT infrastructure, that has helped UNE reduce recovery time by 95 percent and lower operational costs by 50 percent, as well as lay the foundation for the company to provide relevant, innovative technologies to its customers base.
Next Generation Business Application
- Toll Global Logistics -- Toll Global Logistics is a division of the Toll Group, one of Asia’s leading providers of integrated logistics, operating an extensive network of more than 1,200 sites in 55 countries with 45,000 employees. In order to address critical issues within its core transport tracking system, Toll Global Logistics sought an innovative solution that could provide real-time, effective interpretation of vendor data feeds against its internal transport system. By developing a middleware architecture based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Enterprise MRG, JBoss Enterprise Application Platform and JBoss BRMS, Toll Global Logistics transformed its operations, and, for the first time, enabled its users to visually track packages across multiple modes of transport.
Outstanding Open Source Architecture
- State Street Corporation -- State Street is a leading financial services provider with operations in 29 countries that serves some of the world's most sophisticated institutions, offering a flexible suite of services that span the investment spectrum, including investment management, research and trading and investment servicing. State Street embarked on a transformation initiative to accelerate new IT application development and business innovation with an enterprise-wide Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) framework built on Red Hat solutions in its private cloud environment. State Street’s PaaS unifies industry-leading advancements in technology to achieve the company’s strategic objectives, including faster time-to-market, strengthened security and improved overall IT operations.
- Sprint Nextel -- Sprint Nextel is a publicly traded Fortune 100 telecommunications company with more than 40,000 employees and more than 56 million subscribers. Tired of paying exorbitant licensing and maintenance fees for proprietary middleware, Sprint Nextel deployed JBoss Enterprise Application Platform and, at the same time, significantly cut costs while delivering enhanced flexibility and agility to the company’s mission-critical business applications. With millions of dollars in cost savings from Red Hat solutions, Sprint Nextel can fund more IT projects to spur business-driven functionality, growth and innovation. Sprint Nextel’s key successes also include improved developer productivity, reduced time-to-market for key Sprint products, and improved automation of crucial business processes.
Extensive Partner Ecosystem
- Appcelerator -- A private company with approximately 140 employees, Appcelerator worked closely with Red Hat on their flagship platform, Titanium. One of the leading enterprise-grade, cross-platform development solutions on the market, Titanium counts more than 300,000 mobile developers in its worldwide ecosystem. Appcelerator integrated Red Hat's OpenShiftTM PaaS into its Titanium platform, enabling developers to push and auto-scale the backend of their mobile development processes. This integration gives Titanium developers the ability to create, deploy and manage their mobile applications, and then push these applications to Red Hat's OpenShift PaaS with just a single click.
Best Middleware Implementation
- Allianz Group -- Together with its customers and sales partners, Allianz is one of the strongest financial communities. Over 75 million private and corporate customers rely on Allianz's knowledge, global reach, capital strength and solidity to help them make the most of financial opportunities and to avoid and safeguard themselves against risks. In 2011, around 142,000 employees in some 70 countries achieved total revenue of 103.6 billion euros and an operating profit of 7.9 billion euros. The solutions provided by Red Hat Enterprise Linux and JBoss Enterprise Middleware played an important role in re-architecting Allianz’s IT environment to a private cloud. Allianz also highly values Red Hat’s Consulting and Support Services, which provides the company with an efficient and smooth usage of its Red Hat platforms.
Best Storage Implementation
- Cornell University Institute for Biotechnology and Life Science Technologies – Founded in 1865, Cornell University is the largest university in the Ivy League with more than 20,000 students from around the world. Located in the heart of New York’s Finger Lakes region, Cornell has more than 100 interdisciplinary research organizations and three national research centers that serve broad scientific communities and reflect the strong partnership between academia, government and industry. Cornell University Center for Advanced Computing (CAC) conducts research on current and emerging technologies to enhance the capabilities of high-performance computing. Cornell’s Institute for Biotechnology and Life Science Technologies turned to the technical staff at CAC to identify and deploy a storage solution for its department to help manage data-intensive research technologies such as DNA sequencing, proteomics and imaging. Red Hat Storage’s flexibility and reliability, coupled with Red Hat’s community-driven approach to innovation has enabled the Institute to achieve the growth needed to continue its critical research programs.
To read the 2012 Red Hat Innovation Awards winning submissions and vote for the 2012 Red Hat Innovator of the Year, please visit http://www.redhat.com/summit/awards.
Red Hat customer success stories
Red Hat Summit and JBoss World
Follow updates from Red Hat Summit and JBoss World on Twitter at @RedHatSummit or #redhat
Connect with Red Hat
Get more Red Hat news or subscribe to the Red Hat news RSS feed
Follow Red Hat on Twitter
Join Red Hat on Facebook
Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
About Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, taking a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to delays or reductions in information technology spending; the effects of industry consolidation; the ability of the Company to compete effectively; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; risks related to data and information security vulnerabilities; ineffective management of, and control over, the Company's growth and international operations; fluctuations in exchange rates; and changes in and a dependence on key personnel, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission's website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Red Hat and JBoss are trademarks of Red Hat, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.