Red Hat, Inc. (Nasdaq:RHAT), the leader in developing, deploying and managing open source solutions, announced today the availability of Red Hat Linux 7.1, the latest version of the world's most popular open source server operating environment. Red Hat Linux 7.1 includes the new 2.4 kernel with improved SMP support for superior performance on Intel multi-processor platforms. Red Hat Linux 7.1 also delivers new configuration tools that enable users to effortlessly set up and administer DNS, Web and print servers. This release features Red Hat Network connectivity, including software manager.
"Red Hat Linux is firmly embedded in today's computing infrastructure. The release of Red Hat Linux 7.1 and the first in a series of Red Hat Network subscription services makes it easy for organizations to quickly realize the benefits of open source computing," said Matthew Szulik, CEO of Red Hat, Inc. "The elements of Red Hat Linux 7.1 work together to deliver the most powerful, automated open source operating system for fast-growing enterprise and Internet infrastructure users."
According to IDC Research, Linux is the second fastest growing server operating system (from 1999-2000). IDC Research also states that Red Hat is the leading Linux developer, preferred by 68.7 percent of U.S. Linux users.
New Features and Benefits of Red Hat Linux 7.1
- 2.4 Kernel positions Red Hat Linux as an enterprise class operating system. It provides significantly improved multiprocessor support and support for 4GB userland process, eliminates PCI bus limit, makes virtual memory effectively limitless, supports 64 GB of physical RAM, supports greater number of users and groups, includes revised scheduler to handle more processes, carries increased and improved device support, as well as an improved multi-threaded network stack.
- Red Hat Network Software Manager delivers Errata Alerts so users are automatically notified of new Errata and RPM updates that provide notification of new RPM packages.
- Heightened Security delivers secure default settings that keep ports closed and Internet utilities inactive until needed. A new firewall screen enables user to turn on or off as many features as desired for totally customized security.
- Configuration tools make system administration easier than ever with BIND (DNS), Apache and Print tool.
- Installer enhancements improve the user experience by providing a graphical Kickstart configuration tool for unattended installation and a new install class for laptop users.
- Increased internationalization supports global user communities with a fully translated GNOME interface in Japanese, Spanish, French, German and Italian.
- Desktop Functionality includes updated GNOME & KDE, popular graphical environments where users can choose their preferred desktop, and Mozilla, a Web browser, email client and news reader that provides a complete open source Web and messaging client.
- XFree86 4.0.3 interface supports 2D and 3D graphics.
- USB support for "hot pluggable" devices
- New 200-page Customization Guide
- TUX - world's fastest web server(1)
- Holds SPECweb99™ benchmark records for 1, 2, 4 and 8 processor machines.(1)
For a complete list of new features, visit: http://www.redhat.com/products/software/linux/rhl_new_features.html
Widespread Industry Adoption
Red Hat has partnered with industry leaders to provide its customers with the best solutions for Internet computing. Dell and IBM, leaders in the hardware space, continue to embrace Red Hat Linux.
"Dell continues to see growing demand for powerful servers, workstations and notebook computers running Red Hat Linux backed with Red Hat's industry-leading support," said Rick Hoffman, director and general manager of Linux Development, Dell Enterprise Systems Group. "Red Hat Linux 7.1 offers our enterprise customers the scalability, performance and power they have been waiting for in their Linux-based infrastructures. Our direct model and global factory install process will allow us to be one of the first major systems manufacturers to ship Red Hat Linux 7.1 directly to customers—with no middleman required."
Pricing (in USD) and Availability for Red Hat Linux 7.1
Red Hat Linux 7.1 is available in three versions; all include the Red Hat Linux operating system, installation manual, support and Red Hat Network. Red Hat Linux Deluxe and Professional versions include productivity applications (some trial versions and some full), StarOffice Office Suite, Loki Games CD and user guides. The versions are:
Standard: 30 days Web-based support and 30 days Red Hat Network Software Manager for 1 system. Pricing: $39.95.
Deluxe: 60 days of Red Hat Network Software Manager for up to 5 systems and 60 days of telephone and Web support. Pricing: $79.95.
Professional: 90 days of Red Hat Network Software Manager for up to 10 systems and 90 days of telephone and Web support. Red Hat Linux 7.1 Professional also includes support for Software RAID Configuration and Apache and BIND configuration. Pricing: $179.95.
All versions are available for order immediately from redhat.com and through retail outlets worldwide beginning April 24.
Red Hat's comprehensive services and support organization round out an enterprise solution that delivers the tools and performance necessary to translate the promise of open source into high-value, scalable Internet infrastructure implementations.
About Red Hat
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to delays or reductions in information technology spending; the effects of industry consolidation; the ability of the Company to compete effectively; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; risks related to data and information security vulnerabilities; ineffective management of, and control over, the Company’s growth and international operations; fluctuations in exchange rates; and changes in and a dependence on key personnel, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission’s website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company’s views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company’s views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.