RALEIGH, N.C - —
RALEIGH, N.C. and BOSTON – RED HAT SUMMIT 2013 – June 10, 2013 – Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced the finalists of the seventh annual Red Hat Innovation Awards. The awards program recognizes customers, partners and communities for their outstanding use, innovation, and extension of Red Hat technology.
The Red Hat Innovation Awards finalists are recognized in seven separate categories, and category winners were selected by a panel of experts and ranked based on the uniqueness, complexity, and magnitude of their Red Hat implementation. The panel of experts included: Lee Congdon, CIO, Red Hat; Maureen Fleming, program vice president, BPM & Middleware, IDC; Sean Michael Kerner, senior editor, InternetNews.com; Scott Merrill, TechCrunch contributor; Craig Muzilla, vice president and general manager, Middleware, Red Hat; and Stephen O'Grady, principal analyst & cofounder, RedMonk.
The seven Innovation Awards category winners will compete for the 2013 Red Hat Innovator of the Year award and will be recognized during Red Hat Summit in Boston. The 2013 Red Hat Innovator of the Year will be selected by the community via online voting and announced during a special awards ceremony hosted by Red Hat president and CEO Jim Whitehurst on Thurs., June 13, 2013.
The 2013 Red Hat Innovation Awards winners include:
- Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. – The Department of Defense (DoD) hired technology consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton to transform its aging and inflexible architecture into one that supports elasticity and flexibility during spikes in user demand. Using Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat JBoss Middleware, and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, Booz Allen Hamilton created a private cloud and elastic infrastructure that is forecast to save over $5 million through fiscal year 2015 and has increased agility and flexibility.
Next Generation Business Application
- Nación Servicios S.A. – The Argentina-based government entity set out to improve its population’s quality of life with a new transportation project, the Joint Electronic Ticket System (SUBE). This online service provides Buenos Aires citizens the ability to purchase bus, subway, and train transportation via an electronic payment card. The company used Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform as the foundation for the new system, which currently supports more than 11 million customer cards online.
Outstanding Open Source Architecture
- Cigna – As health care reform introduced new regulations that demanded greater business and IT agility, one of the largest health service companies in the world embarked on a company-wide business transformation project to evolve its internal Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) strategy. By utilizing Red Hat's enterprise Linux, middleware, and virtualization solutions, Cigna has successfully designed and built a self-service provisioning component to develop frameworks and solutions that will be used to transform Cigna IT, while also rapidly responding to new health care regulations.
- Roche - The European research-based healthcare company needed to revamp its middleware platform infrastructure for shared environments worldwide. Roche looked to open source technology as the foundation for its migration. Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, Red Hat JBoss Data Services, and Red Hat JBoss Operations Network has provided the framework for Roche to drastically improve its application delivery time from three weeks to three days.
Extensive Partner Ecosystem
- Stylmark, Inc. – Stylmark is a leading provider of customized aluminum structures, lighting, graphic displays and framing systems in retail, grocery and hospitality environments for companies seeking to create or update spaces to allure and engage their customers. The company selected Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization as a key IT infrastructure component, which has influenced the company to use additional open source solutions to enhance its own product portfolio. By using Red Hat technology, the company’s IT staff can now spend more time on new applications to enhance business, while gaining a more competitive edge.
Best Middleware Implementation
- Spin Systems, Inc. - Asked to develop a healthcare data collection and aggregation system by a U.S. Department of Defense agency, Spin Systems used Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat JBoss Middleware to build a system that has collected more than 1.2 billion records a day from medical diagnostic devices, electronic medical records, information kiosks, and a broad range of other sources. In addition to reducing costs and improving efficiency, with the new solution, DoD professionals can now access healthcare records in minutes.
Best Storage Implementation
- Intuit, Inc. – Data and storage management is vital to Intuit’s business, and a high level of performance is required, especially during peak periods for its TurboTax suite of tax preparation offerings. Red Hat Storage provides Intuit with innovative file systems that scale, improving application performance and high availability for applications across multiple datacenters. By partnering with Red Hat, Intuit has become a pioneer in moving forward with cutting edge technology and experienced a breakthrough in scalability, all while reducing cost.
To read the winning submissions from the 2013 Red Hat Innovation Awards and vote for the 2013 Red Hat Innovator of the Year, please visit http://www.redhat.com/innovationconnection/awards.html.
More about Red Hat Innovation Awards
More about Red Hat Summit
Follow updates from Red Hat Summit on Twitter at @RedHatSummit or #RHSummit
Engage with Red Hat Summit on Facebook
Connect with Red Hat
Learn more about Red Hat
Get more Red Hat news or subscribe to the Red Hat news RSS feed
Follow Red Hat on Twitter
Join Red Hat on Facebook
Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
Join Red Hat on Google+
About Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of open source software solutions, taking a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to delays or reductions in information technology spending; the effects of industry consolidation; the ability of the Company to compete effectively; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; risks related to data and information security vulnerabilities; ineffective management of, and control over, the Company's growth and international operations; fluctuations in exchange rates; and changes in and a dependence on key personnel, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission's website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Red Hat, the Shadowman logo and JBoss are registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.