Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced the general availability of Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes, enabling organizations to accelerate cloud-native app development with a curated set of frameworks and runtimes for prescriptively building and running microservices-based applications.
Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes manifests Red Hat’s decade-plus of experience with Red Hat JBoss Middleware in this new runtime offering built from the ground up for the next generation of microservices-based application development.”
At the heart of digital transformation is the opportunity for organizations to reinvent themselves to better compete in a market marked by new competitors, communities, technologies and business strategies. Under these conditions, adaptability is key for survival, and cloud-native development solutions that harness the convergence of Linux containers, API management, service-based architectures, and DevOps automation are ideal for helping organizations respond to unpredictable change and outmaneuver competitors.
By providing a tightly integrated and fully supported offering for developing microservices in multiple languages and frameworks, Red Hat aims to balance developers' need for choice with the operational requirement for standardization and support – both for creating new applications and re-architecting existing ones. According to a September 2017 survey of Red Hat customers, a large majority of respondents (87 percent) indicated that they are using or considering multiple runtimes and frameworks for developing microservices, with 44 percent citing the preference for using the right tool for the right task.
Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes supports multiple runtimes, languages, frameworks and architectures, with the following key features and benefits:
- Simplified development: The offering reduces the complexity of developing cloud-native applications by integrating OpenShift Container Platform capabilities with multiple runtimes and frameworks, including wizard-based setup, service discovery, external configurations, and circuit breakers for fault tolerance.
- Strategic flexibility: Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes supports hybrid cloud configurations, helping avoid cloud provider lock-in. The distributed nature of cloud computing means that a “one size fits all” approach to runtimes and frameworks is becoming less effective for enterprise productivity. With this offering, developers gain the flexibility to build services for hybrid and multi-cloud applications and systems using their preferred tools.
- Speed of delivery: Due to its integration with Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes provides developers with a fully automated platform for provisioning, building and deploying applications and their components. It integrates with continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) tools like Git, Maven, and Jenkins. It also provides intuitive tooling to more securely streamline Kubernetes workflows and enable application load-balancing and auto-scaling capabilities with policy-based control and automation.
- Service Catalogue integration: Combined with the OpenShift service catalog, enterprise IT organizations can take full advantage of multi-cloud investments by integrating cloud-based services, for example those provided by the OpenShift and AWS service integration, and capabilities developed in-house on Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes and provide portability and consistency of stateful and stateless, microservices-based applications across IT footprints.
Register now: Webinar on Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes: The Developer's Bright Hybrid Cloud-Native, Polyglot, Poly-architecture Future
Join us on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017, for a webinar providing a detailed overview of Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes: The Developer's Bright Hybrid Cloud-Native, Polyglot, Poly-architecture Future. Register for the webinar or view a playback at http://assets.sdtimes.com/webinar-redhat-12122017
Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes is now available. Customers can download the latest release from the Red Hat Customer Portal or at OpenShift Online.
Mike Piech, vice president and general manager, Middleware, Red Hat
“The new world of cloud-native, containerized, microservices-based architecture empowers enterprises to innovate in a more rapid and flexible way than ever before. But doing so at scale with performance, reliability, and improved security requires the muscle of enterprise-grade runtimes. Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes manifests Red Hat’s decade-plus of experience with Red Hat JBoss Middleware in this new runtime offering built from the ground up for the next generation of microservices-based application development.”
Joe Dickman, senior vice president, Vizuri
“Organizations that are investing time and resources in cloud-native architectures must look at leveraging containerized workloads to provide a robust, flexible and reliable infrastructure that can respond quickly to changing customer needs. Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes establishes a foundation for building services for hybrid and multi-cloud applications and systems in a programmable way that provision and decommission infrastructure and application resources in a myriad of environments using their preferred tools.”
Al Gillen, group vice president, Software Development and Open Source, IDC
“Enterprises that invest in DevOps, microservices, cloud services, and modern application development can see multiple benefits including business-focused innovation, improved competitive differentiation, and responsiveness to unexpected user and business requirements. Forward-looking CIOs and CEOs that have embraced agile and DevOps operational models have seen paybacks including more frequent application deployments, higher-quality code, agility in delivering and evolving user-centric features, and a greater ability to innovate with new products and features.”
- Learn more about Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes
- Get Started with Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes
- Register for the the Dec. 12 webinar
Connect with Red Hat
- About Red Hat
Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to provide reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As a connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
- Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to the ability of the Company to compete effectively; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; delays or reductions in information technology spending; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; fluctuations in exchange rates; the effects of industry consolidation; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; risks related to the security of our offerings and other data security vulnerabilities; changes in and a dependence on key personnel; the ability to meet financial and operational challenges encountered in our international operations; and ineffective management of, and control over, the Company's growth and international operations, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission's website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.
Red Hat, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the Shadowman logo, JBoss and OpenShift are trademarks or registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.