Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced the global availability of Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2, with fully supported Storage Live Migration and a new third-party plug-in framework. As part of Red Hat's open hybrid cloud offerings, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization is the industry's only mission-critical end-to-end, open source virtualization infrastructure designed for enterprise users and global organizations.
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 is designed to meet an increasing industry need for open virtualization solutions without compromising performance, scalability, security or features. Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization is also an essential component of Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure, which combines traditional datacenter virtualization features provided by Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, cloud-enabled infrastructure provided by Red Hat OpenStack, and hybrid cloud management provided by Red Hat CloudForms, to deliver a comprehensive open hybrid cloud solution for customers seeking to adopt cloud-enabled applications and infrastructure in coexistence with their traditional infrastructure and migrate over time as their needs demand.
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 brings a vast array of new features, including:
- Fully supported Storage Live Migration, allowing virtual machine images to be moved from one storage domain to another without disrupting service;
- Support for the latest industry-standard processors from Intel and AMD, including Intel Haswell series and AMD Opteron G5 processors; and
- Enhancements in storage management, networking management, fencing and power management, Spice console enhancements, logging and monitoring, and more.
New Third-Party Plug-ins
A key feature in Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 is the availability of a new third-party plug-in framework. Developed through community and vendor collaboration and contributions, the plug-in framework enables third parties to integrate new features and actions directly into the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization management user interface. New menu items, panes, and dialog boxes allow users to access the new functionality the same way they use Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization's native functionality. The framework continues to evolve based on vendor and community requests, and any vendor may choose to consume the plug-in framework and add unique functionality to Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization.
Red Hat is already collaborating with several industry leaders to integrate their solutions with Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization via the new plug-in, including high availability and disaster recovery solutions from NetApp, Symantec, and Insight Control from HP:
- NetApp: Virtual Storage Console (VSC) for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization helps improve efficiency while reducing cost and complexity in virtual environments using NetApp storage. VSC provides integrated virtual storage management, including rapid domain provisioning and cloning of hundreds of virtual machines, while enabling Red Hat administrators to access and execute all of these capabilities using the standard Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization management interface NetApp is now accepting applications for the VSC for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization beta.
- Symantec: Veritas Cluster Server from Symantec, the comprehensive disaster recovery and high availability solution, will support Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 environments. Once integration is complete, Veritas Cluster Server will offer "push button" disaster recovery orchestration, and together with the Veritas Operations Manager Recovery Plan feature completely automate the failover of a Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization environment over to a disaster recovery site. This includes guests, guest network reconfiguration, and storage reconfiguration. Veritas Cluster Server is designed to provide high availability and disaster recovery for databases, custom applications, and complete multi-tiered applications across physical and virtual environments over any distance.
- HP: Insight Control for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, a new plug-in currently being developed by HP to enable deployments using HP ProLiant servers to view a wealth of information provided by the HP Insight Control platform. Within the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization graphical interface, administrators can quickly and easily obtain detailed information on the health of the HP server hardware.
Radhesh Balakrishnan, general manager, Virtualization, Red Hat
"Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 builds on the industry-leading performance of the KVM hypervisor to offer an enterprise-class datacenter virtualization and management solution to customers looking to save costs as well as implement an open architecture. With the addition of Storage Live Migration and third-party plug-ins from our industry partners, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization's compelling value proposition to customers virtualizing Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Windows workloads alike gets stronger."
Patrick Rogers, vice president, Data Center Platforms, NetApp
"Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 represents a significant step forward for open source virtualization. With Red Hat's new third-party plug-in framework, NetApp can now accelerate virtual machine cloning and provisioning in Red Hat environments. Additionally, with the recent launch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 and the clustered Data ONTAP® 8.2 architecture, NetApp and Red Hat are enabling organizations that run virtualized solutions on Red Hat products to maximize the performance and scalability of their virtual environments with the industry's first end-to-end parallel NFS solution."
Doug Matthews, vice president of product management, Information Availability, Symantec
"Virtualized datacenters require high availability and disaster recovery capabilities in the same way as traditional server environments. We are pleased to continue our long-time collaboration with Red Hat to bring seamless support for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 to our Veritas Cluster Suite to bring customers peace of mind that their most critical applications and data will be available at all times."
Jaime Arango, Director IDC and Office IT, UNE Telecommunications
"Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization is an essential part of UNE's expansion and growth. We rely on Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization to support all of our internal and external systems, and find that it offers us consistency, performance, versatility, and cost savings to help us compete in the highly competitive telecommunications market."
For more information
- Learn more about Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
- Download a fully supported, 60-day trial of Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2
- More about Red Hat Summit
- Follow updates from Red Hat Summit on Twitter at @RedHatSummit or #RHSummit
- Engage with Red Hat Summit on Facebook
Connect with Red Hat
Über Red Hat
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Auf die Zukunft gerichtete Aussagen
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to delays or reductions in information technology spending; the effects of industry consolidation; the ability of the Company to compete effectively; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; risks related to data and information security vulnerabilities; ineffective management of, and control over, the Company’s growth and international operations; fluctuations in exchange rates; and changes in and a dependence on key personnel, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission’s website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company’s views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company’s views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.