Select a language
Investing in the communities where we live, work, and play
Red Hat’s open source philosophy extends into all areas of our business, including our corporate citizenship program. Through Red Hat Cares, associates offer input to help determine how we choose and manage donations to nonprofit organizations, the structure of our matching gifts program, and the volunteer opportunities we support. Although our funding priorities did not change last year during the pandemic, our program delivery and engagement with Red Hat associates dramatically shifted in several ways.
Red Hat Cares
Red Hat Cares, our corporate citizenship program, includes donations to nonprofits, matching gifts, global volunteer programs, and STEM education outreach.
In calendar year 2020:
- We donated more than US$4.5M to charitable and educational causes, more than double the previous year.
- We donated a total of US$100,000 to five nonprofits directly involved with COVID-19 relief efforts.
- We designed and sold Red Hat-branded masks for associates around the world, raising more than US$17,000 for the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.
- We raised more than US$8,000 selling note cards designed by Red Hatters through the Red Hat Cares about a Cure for Cancer community, with proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society and Alex’s Lemonade Stand.
- We matched more than US$875,000—a 40% increase over the prior reported year—in Red Hatter donations to 2,000+ charities.
Red Hatters volunteer at the San Antonio Food Bank in Texas.
Red Hatters created and sold note cards to raise funds for the American Cancer Society and Alex’s Lemonade Stand.