Red Hat OpenShift: Container technology for hybrid cloud
Organizations need to deliver and transform applications faster than ever, but managing an application portfolio spanning different architectures and frameworks—while also building new applications and modernizing existing ones—can be challenging and time-consuming. Cloud platforms play a key role in establishing a balance between application innovation and operational efficiency.
Red Hat® OpenShift® is an enterprise Kubernetes container platform that helps companies around the world build, deploy, run, manage, and secure innovative application experiences across hybrid clouds. Managing a mix of applications across architectures and frameworks is challenging, but Red Hat OpenShift provides multiple layers of security, management, and automation work across infrastructures to provide consistency for continuous innovation at scale. With Red Hat OpenShift, developers and operations teams have the tools and services they need to help organizations competitively meet today’s business needs and build for the future.
Red Hat offers both managed services and self-managed options, giving you the flexibility to choose where and how to deploy Red Hat OpenShift to meet your needs—supported by the same foundation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux® and core Kubernetes.
The business value of Red Hat OpenShift
- Accelerate application development by 33%
- Achieve 636% return on investment (ROI) over 5 years
- Deliver close to 3 times more features to customers
- Improve DevOps and development team productivity by 20%
Source: IDC Business Value White Paper, sponsored by Red Hat. “The Business Value of Red Hat OpenShift.” Document #US47539121, Mar. 2021.
Get more value from your cloud investment with managed services
Running Red Hat OpenShift as a managed service reduces operational complexity, helping developers focus on building, launching, and scaling valuable applications faster.
- Achieve value faster: Deploy applications in minutes and scale as needed across clouds and regions to focus on innovation, not infrastructure.
- Reduce complexity, reliably: Take advantage of enterprise container technology that is fully managed and backed by 24x7 expert site reliability engineering (SRE) support and a 99.95% service level agreement (SLA).
- Build your hybrid cloud: Access a consistent OpenShift experience on your choice of major cloud providers.
Red Hat OpenShift managed services options include:
- Red Hat OpenShift Service on AWS is jointly supported service running natively on AWS that lets users quickly and easily build, deploy, and manage Kubernetes applications in Amazon’s public cloud.
- Azure Red Hat OpenShift is a jointly engineered service that runs on Microsoft Azure, managed and supported by Microsoft and Red Hat for improved regulatory compliance.
- Red Hat OpenShift on IBM Cloud takes advantage of the enterprise scalability and security of IBM Cloud to support OpenShift-based workloads on a managed public cloud service, improving responsiveness and reliability.
- Red Hat OpenShift Dedicated runs on AWS and Google Cloud Platform to support applications across multicloud environments from these leading cloud providers.
Control your containers with self-managed Red Hat OpenShift
Red Hat OpenShift self-managed editions provide more control and flexibility over your OpenShift deployment. Deploy on any private or public cloud, on bare metal, or at the edge. Long-term support provides flexible life cycles, so you can choose when to upgrade to the next version of Red Hat OpenShift.
Red Hat OpenShift self-managed versions include:
- Red Hat OpenShift Kubernetes Engine delivers the foundational, security-focused capabilities of enterprise Kubernetes on Red Hat Enterprise Linux CoreOS to run containers in hybrid cloud environments.
- Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform adds a full set of operations and developer services and tools, including Serverless, Service Mesh, and Pipelines. With OpenShift Container Platform organizations can adopt a hybrid cloud strategy and start building cloud-native applications. The proven platform includes a complete set of services that empower developers to code with speed and agility for applications while providing more flexibility and efficiency for IT operations teams.
- Red Hat OpenShift Platform Plus builds on the capabilities of OpenShift Container Platform with advanced multicluster security features, day-2 management capabilities, a global container registry, and cluster data management. With OpenShift Platform Plus, organizations can more consistently protect and manage applications across open hybrid cloud environments and application lifecycles.
Access a broad ecosystem of partners
Red Hat certified hardware and software partners support your preferred DevOps tools, integrated with Red Hat OpenShift. Red Hat Marketplace, operated by IBM, offers access to the latest networking, artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) technology, hardware, and independent software vendor (ISV) solutions to support core capabilities like databases, runtimes, big data, and more. From migrating legacy applications to developing new cloud-native applications, our partners are trained and certified on Red Hat OpenShift—and the entire Red Hat portfolio—to provide the support and flexibility you need for your hybrid cloud environment.
Work confidently with advanced security and management solutions
Red Hat OpenShift includes a broad set of built-in security features for every Kubernetes cluster. Red Hat Advanced Cluster Security for Kubernetes and Red Hat Advanced Cluster Management for Kubernetes are available for both managed and self-managed Red Hat OpenShift to enhance infrastructure and workload security and extended visibility of your entire Kubernetes domain.
For advanced security and management of multicluster environments, OpenShift Platform Plus supports DevSecOps across hybrid cloud by uniting the capabilities of Red Hat Advanced Cluster Security for Kubernetes, Red Hat Advanced Cluster Management for Kubernetes, and Red Hat Quay.
Get started with Red Hat OpenShift
For more information about Red Hat OpenShift, visit openshift.com/try.
Red Hat OpenShift Dedicated is also available as an Amazon Web Services (AWS)-managed service, running on user-supplied AWS infrastructure.
Red Hat managed service running on user-supplied Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or AWS infrastructure.
See docs.openshift.com for supported infrastructure options and configurations.