A Red Hat® Certified Engineer (RHCE®) is a Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) who possesses the additional skills, knowledge, and abilities required of a senior system administrator responsible for Red Hat Enterprise Linux® systems.
An RHCE is capable of RHCSA tasks plus the following:
- Configuring static routes, packet filtering, and network address translation
- Setting kernel runtime parameters
- Configuring an Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) initiator
- Producing and delivering reports on system utilization
- Using shell scripting to automate system maintenance tasks
- Configuring system logging, including remote logging
- Configuring a system to provide networking services, including HTTP/HTTPS, File Transfer Protocol (FTP), network file system (NFS), server message block (SMB), Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), secure shell (SSH) and Network Time Protocol (NTP)
The following audiences may be interested in earning RHCE:
- RHCSAs who wish to earn a more senior-level credential.
- Experienced senior system administrators who have not yet certified.
- Course participants in Red Hat Training who have completed System Administration I, II, and III, or who have completed the RHCE Rapid Track Course.
- Experienced system administrators who require certification for their job or by mandate (e.g., US Department of Defense Directive 8570).
Note: There is no requirement that these exams be taken and passed on the same release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Windows system administrators with minimal Linux experience:
- Red Hat System Administration I (RH124)
- Red Hat System Administration II (RH134)
- Red Hat System Administration III (RH254)
Linux or UNIX administrators with 1-3 years of experience:
RHCEs who wish to re-certify:
The knowledge acquired as a Red Hat Certified Engineer has enabled me to use the expertise and the troubleshooting skills on complex problems for the benefit of SEAQ's customers.Felipe Ceballos, RHCA
2016 Red Hat Certified Professional of the Year Watch the video