RALEIGH, N.C - —
Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world's leading provider of open source solutions, today announced an expansion of the company's strategic alliance with SAP AG to make it easier for customers to adopt and run the SAP® Data Management portfolio, including the SAP HANA® platform, SAP Adaptive Server® Enterprise (SAP ASE), SAP IQ software, and the SAP SQL Anywhere® suite on Red Hat's open source solutions. The expanded collaboration is expected to enable real-time, in-memory innovation by providing an open, scalable, integrated and highly-available platform for solutions from SAP along with those that are custom-built in an effort to expand customer choice when it comes to fueling business performance and helping enterprises realize increased value from cloud computing and big data.
As the foundation of the enhanced partnership, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available and qualified for production use of SAP HANA and supported by partners' SAP-certified hardware solutions. SAP HANA enables customers to capture business transactions to help make smarter, faster decisions through real-time analysis and reporting combined with dramatically accelerated business processes. Customers can now also enjoy expanded choice when it comes to their deployments of SAP HANA to experience the industry-leading reliability, quality and stability offered by Red Hat Enterprise Linux. They can also standardize deployments of SAP solutions on Red Hat's high-performing, secure and open platform, helping to ensure consistency of operations across the business.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA is designed for easy deployment and simplified integration, and will be available via SAP-certified hardware appliances from partners. Delivered through the power of the partner ecosystems of Red Hat and SAP, it is planned for customers to now have access to an expansive portfolio of cross-industry experience and expertise that harnesses the flexible, scalable and open nature of SAP software and Red Hat solutions that are designed to meet a variety of enterprise information requirements.
Enterprises seeking to leverage the power of the public cloud for their data management needs can also take advantage of Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA and the broader set of SAP Data Management portfolio of solutions, including SAP HANA on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud. It is expected that customers will soon be able to take their existing SAP license to the cloud and easily add Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA to their service mix on the SAP Marketplace.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA is the culmination of SAP and Red Hat's long history of collaborative efforts to enable joint customer success on a global scale. Recently, in March 2014, SAP announced that a team of technology partners - including Red Hat - had generated a new world record for the world's largest data warehouse using the SAP HANA platform and SAP IQ (1).
Beyond Red Hat Enterprise Linux support for SAP HANA and the SAP Data Management portfolio, the collaboration between SAP and Red Hat also includes:
- Continued collaboration around SAP Gateway technology and Red Hat JBoss Middleware - Red Hat and SAP are also collaborating to enable real-time integration of data from SAP solutions with other systems by leveraging Red Hat JBoss Middleware solutions including Red Hat JBoss Fuse Service Works and Red Hat JBoss BRMS, which integrate or move business data across disparate enterprise systems. Through Red Hat JBoss Middleware and SAP solutions, it is anticipated that organizations will be able to increase process efficiency, stay competitive, and adapt to quickly changing business requirements.
- OpenShift and SAP Data Management Portfolio Integration - Announced during Red Hat Summit 2014, SAP ASE, SAP IQ and SAP SQL Anywhere are now available as cartridges on OpenShift, Red Hat's award-winning Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) offering. For use within the full OpenShift portfolio, including OpenShift Online, OpenShift Enterprise and OpenShift Origin, these offerings will enable developers around the world to build the next-generation of data-intensive enterprise applications.
- Fujitsu Power Appliance for SAP ASE - Announced during the Independent SAP Technical User Group (ISUG-TECH), Fujitsu will deliver this solution with Red Hat Enterprise Linux as the preferred operating system for SAP ASE in the financial services market.
- Cooperative Support Agreement - As part of the long-standing partnership between SAP and Red Hat, the parties' want customers to be assured that the companies' solutions, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA, will run together optimally and be supported by both SAP's and Red Hat's vast and experienced ecosystems.
Arun Oberoi, executive vice president, Global Sales and Services, Red Hat
"Red Hat is committed to providing the enterprise world with open choices to help meet IT challenges of every nature, including big data. We are very pleased to expand our relationship with SAP to offer customers a flexible, scalable and open standards-based foundation for their SAP solution-based landscapes, including those running SAP HANA, SAP ASE, SAP IQ and SAP SQL Anywhere. By complementing Red Hat's open hybrid cloud technologies with SAP's powerful portfolio of data platforms, we, along with our vast, experienced partner networks, can deliver high-performing, enterprise-class solutions that help solve true business problems."
Steve Lucas, President, Platform Solutions, SAP AG
"SAP HANA, along with the entire SAP Data Management portfolio, is designed to enable enterprises to accelerate business performance and fuel innovation while retaining IT simplicity and customer choice. By joining forces with Red Hat to enable SAP HANA on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, we plan to give our customers an additional choice upon which to base deployments of SAP solutions; an open, flexible and scalable platform that is intended to support customers' data management needs across on-premise and cloud environments."
Sam Greenblatt, vice president, Enterprise Solutions Group Technology Strategy, Dell
"The Dell PowerEdge R920 server forms the basis for the Dell solution for SAP HANA, which delivers a stable, scalable environment to meet changing business needs; the PowerEdge server portfolio more broadly also integrates with Red Hat Enterprise Linux to enable industry-leading datacenter efficiency without sacrificing flexibility or choice. Teaming with Red Hat and SAP to deliver Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA is a natural extension to our solutions, helping customers to drive standardization across their infrastructure, reduce overall costs, optimize performance and ensure operational consistency."
Alex Yost, vice president, Strategy and Alliances x86, IBM
"Since the introduction of SAP HANA, IBM eX5 systems have been a leading deployment platform. Now with Red Hat, IBM X6 next generation systems and SAP technologies, IT departments can lay the foundation for an agile and competitive environment that spans not just across the traditional confines of the datacenter but across the entire business. The combination of IBM System x servers with X6 technology and Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA is expected to deliver simple, integrated solutions that can more easily scale, to help get faster time to value from their business analytics, in an effort to fuel innovation while keeping costs low."
Cameron McNaught, executive vice president, Solution, Fujitsu Limited
"As a pioneering SAP partner with hundreds of successful installations of SAP HANA behind us, we are very pleased to add Red Hat Enterprise Linux as a supported choice to our comprehensive portfolio of solutions and services for SAP HANA. We are convinced that Red Hat's leading enterprise Linux platform will help us to provide reliable, cost-efficient and high-performing SAP HANA-based solutions for on-site and cloud deployments, enabling our joint customers to make decisions based on greater business insight."
Shannon Poulin, vice president and general, IT Segment, Intel
"With the continued growth of social media and machine-generated data, datacenter customers demand more performance, less energy consumption and more efficiency out of their infrastructure. Intel's family of Xeon E7 v2 processors, when coupled with Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA, help efficiently creates business value out of all this data. The combined Intel and Red Hat solution is an open, highly scalable and certified platform on which customers can also standardize their portfolio of SAP solutions."
Tomoyasu Nishimura, general manager, IT Platform Division, NEC Corporation
"We are pleased to see Red Hat Enterprise Linux as a supported operating system choice for SAP HANA and plan to offer Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA as a component of our own appliance product for SAP HANA. By integrating NEC's Enterprise Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SAP HANA, the NEC High-Performance Appliance for SAP HANA delivers a dependable and high-performance data platform for customers seeking to address business demands like those associated with big data."
For more information, visit Red Hat in booth 715 at the SAPPHIRE® NOW conference being held June 3-5 in Orlando, Fla.
(1) The record was achieved using SAP HANA and SAP IQ 16, with BMMsoft Federated EDMT running on HP DL580 servers using Intel® Xeon® E7-4870 processors under Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and NetApp FAS6290 and E5460 storage. The development and testing of the 12.1PB data warehouse was conducted by the team at the SAP and Intel Petascale lab in Santa Clara, Calif., and audited by InfoSizing, an independent Transaction Processing Council certified auditor. Customer results may vary and depend on system configuration. Source: prnewswire.com