Learn the basics of Linux
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Technical Overview (RH024) is a series of no-cost, on-demand, online videos that provide a technical introduction to Linux® for IT professionals.
This course is based on Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 8.
Course content summary
The videos will demonstrate basic practical techniques of Linux use and system administration tasks for professionals new to the operating system who are interested in preparing for further study. You will be introduced to why Linux and the open source development model is so important in today's computing environment.
Audience for this course
IT leaders, administrators, engineers, architects, and anyone else seeking a high-level understanding of Linux.
Prerequisites for this course
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Outline for this course
- Video 1. What are Linux, open source software, and a distribution?
- Video 2. Introduction to the shell
- Video 3. Kernel and user spaces
- Video 4. Orientation to the graphical user interface
- Video 5. File management in Linux
- Video 6. The file system hierarchy
- Video 7. Editing files using Vim
- Video 8. Organizing users and groups
- Video 9. File permissions
- Video 10. Managing software
- Video 11. Configuring networking
- Video 12. Controlling system startup processes
- Video 13. Introduction to containers
- Video 14. Overview of cockpit
- Video 15. Learning more about Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8
After the course
- Red Hat System Administration I (RH124)
- The course provides students with Linux administration "survival skills" by focusing on core administration tasks. This curriculum also provides a foundation for students planning to become full-time Linux system administrators by introducing key command line concepts and enterprise-level tools.
- Red Hat System Administration II (RH134)
- This course is designed as the second part of the Red Hat® Certified System Administrator (RHCSA®) training track for IT professionals who have taken Red Hat System Administration I (RH124). The curriculum goes deeper into core Linux system administration skills, including storage configuration, security feature management, task control, and installation and deployment of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Red Hat System Administration II with exam (RH135)
- This offering is designed as the second part of the Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) training track for IT professionals who have taken Red Hat System Administration I (RH124), and includes the RHCSA exam (EX200). The curriculum explores and validates core Linux system administration skills, including storage configuration, security feature management, task control, and installation and deployment of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) exam (EX200)
- This exam tests your knowledge in areas of system administration common across a wide range of environments and deployment scenarios. The skills tested in this exam are the foundation for system administration across all Red Hat products. By passing this exam, you become a Red Hat Certified System Administrator.
- Red Hat Learning Subscription
- These tiered offerings offer access to Red Hat online training resources in a single, annual subscription. Choose your subscription tier to watch videos, take courses, and complete hands-on labs online—at your own pace. Customize your learning experience to access online training classes, certification exams, or video courses.