As part of Red Hat’s open source development model, Red Hat develops the Red Hat Enterprise Linux source code in CentOS Stream before releasing new Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions—making CentOS Stream a preview of future Red Hat Enterprise Linux releases.
For current CentOS Linux users who will have to migrate between 2021 and 2024, CentOS Stream is a migration path which allows you to participate in the development of future versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. For organizations that need a production-grade platform for important business applications and workloads, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the recommended option.
CentOS Stream is an important part of the larger Red Hat Enterprise Linux source code development process:
- Fedora: The upstream project on which future Red Hat Enterprise Linux major releases are based. This is where significant operating system (OS) innovations are introduced.
- CentOS Stream: An upstream open source development platform where you can develop, test, and contribute to a continuously delivered distribution that tracks just ahead of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux: A production-grade operating system that provides a more secure, supported, and flexible foundation for critical workloads and applications.
Community contributors to CentOS Stream get early access to the same code Red Hat developers and engineers use to produce the next version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Hardware partners and application developers can test their solutions, checking that everything works as it should with the next release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Community members can contribute new features and patches that can improve the capabilities and security of the next Red Hat Enterprise Linux release.
- Users of CentOS Stream can share feedback without having to wait for the next Red Hat Enterprise Linux release.
Open Source community projects
A collection of projects, each working toward their own goals
Brings together the best ideas from the huge number of open source community projects available
Provides a seamless contribution path to the next minor release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
A production-grade operating system that provides a more secure, supported, and flexible foundation for critical workloads and applications
Contributions flow among all elements of the ecosystem; however, there is a stronger connection between CentOS Stream and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®. They each contribute to the other while ensuring that new code is submitted as far upstream as possible; and, ideally, directly into the relevant open source community projects.
Migrate from CentOS Linux to CentOS Stream