Container and Kubernetes adoption brings the promise of faster application development and delivery at larger scales. Protecting cloud-native applications can require significant changes in how organizations approach IT security. They need to apply controls earlier in the application development lifecycle, use existing infrastructure to apply and enforce these controls, keep up with increasingly rapid release schedules, and more.
Today, we are excited to announce the limited availability of Red Hat Advanced Cluster Security Cloud Service, a fully managed software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution to protect containerized applications and Kubernetes across the full application lifecycle: build, deploy, runtime.
As a fully hosted and managed cloud service, the Advanced Cluster Security Cloud Service brings together Kubernetes-native security capabilities with the convenience and support of a fully Red Hat-managed offering. With Red Hat Advanced Cluster Security Cloud Service, organizations can take a security-forward approach as they build, deploy and maintain cloud-native applications, regardless of the underlying Kubernetes platform.
Expanding Kubernetes security to the cloud
Red Hat Advanced Cluster Security Cloud Service extends beyond Red Hat OpenShift, and includes Kubernetes services from all major cloud providers such as Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS), Microsoft Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), and Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE). This means Red Hat customers can get started on enhancing the security of their workloads running in on-premises environments or in the cloud within minutes, and focusing on delivering value faster without the additional overhead or complexities.
Making cloud native security faster, easier
Protecting containerized applications and Kubernetes environments is most effective when it facilitates development speed by shifting security responsibility to the left, where developers build security into their applications. Because security has a reputation of slowing development speed, it is sometimes circumvented if it doesn’t align with the goals set for application development teams.
Red Hat Advanced Cluster Security Cloud Service helps to accelerate developer productivity by embedding security guardrails in the developer workflows and the software supply chain. The solution also lowers operational costs by reducing the learning curve for implementing Kubernetes security and eliminating management costs, while supporting Kubernetes-native controls for enforcement to reduce operational risk.
- Visibility - see your entire Kubernetes environment and its security posture, including images, deployments, and runtime behavior.
- Vulnerability management - go beyond vulnerability scoring and implement full lifecycle vulnerability management that’s risk-based and includes mitigating vulnerabilities at runtime.
- Compliance - ensure your cloud-native environment is compliant with industry standards and best practices such as CIS Benchmarks, NIST, PCI, and HIPAA.
- Network security - leverage Kubernetes-native network security controls to isolate and segment deployments based on their unique security needs and minimize the attack surface.
- Risk profiling - see a stack-ranked list of all of your deployments with risk factors to identify highest priority security issues.
- Configuration management - enforce security and configuration best practices by scanning deployments for common security issues such as overprivileged containers or insecure RBAC settings.
- Threat detection & response - use behavioral analysis, rules, and whitelisting to understand runtime behavior and detect and respond to anomalous activity indicative of an attack.
About the author
Ajmal Kohgadai is Principal Product Marketing Manager for Red Hat Advanced Cluster Security for Kubernetes. Prior to its acquisition by Red Hat, he was the Director of Product Marketing and Growth at StackRox, a leading Kubernetes security company.