SAN FRANCISCO – RED HAT SUMMIT 2014 – April 14, 2014 – Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions, today announced the finalists for the eighth annual Red Hat Innovation Awards. The awards program recognizes customers, partners and communities for their outstanding use, innovation, and extension of Red Hat technology.
The Red Hat Innovation Awards finalists are recognized in five separate categories with category winners being selected by a panel of experts and ranked based on the uniqueness, complexity and magnitude of their Red Hat implementation. The panel of experts included: Lee Congdon, CIO, Red Hat; Ashesh Badani, vice president and general manager, OpenShift, Red Hat; Carl Lehmann, research manager, Enterprise Architecture, Integration & Business Process Management, 451 Research; Laurent Lachal, cloud computing research lead, Ovum; Sean Michael Kerner, senior editor, eWEEK; and Fredric Paul, blogger, Network World and contributor, CIO, IT World, InfoWorld, and other publications.
The eighth Innovation Awards category winners will compete for the 2014 Red Hat Innovator of the Year award and will be recognized during Red Hat Summit in San Francisco. The 2014 Red Hat Innovator of the Year will be selected by the community via online voting and announced during a special awards ceremony hosted by Red Hat’s president and CEO Jim Whitehurst on April 15, 2014.
The 2014 Red Hat Innovation Awards winners include:
Recognizing striking flexibility, scalability, cost effectiveness, performance and security within an infrastructure.
- Winner: Centre for Railway Information Systems: The Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS) runs a journey planning application that is integrated with Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporate (IRCTC)'s online internet ticketing system of Indian Railways. The current system serves travelers across the entire nation and with increasing site traffic, data processing challenges, such as a slow and often unresponsive booking system during peak times, were expected. CRIS turned to Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform for reliability and scalability. Now, the internet ticketing system, along with enhancements to CRIS' application, has reduced transaction response times and has processed a record high of more than 65,000 tickets during peak hours.
Category: Emerging Technologies
Recognizing the most successful illustration of cutting-edge deployment and business value from Red Hat’s emerging technology portfolio.
- Winner: Nanyang Technological University: Due to high computing demand by researchers and students, Nanyang Technological University, a research-intensive university in Singapore, sought an open hybrid cloud infrastructure to link the school's private cloud with its Amazon Web Services public cloud. The university deployed Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure, Red Hat’s solution for building and managing an open, private Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud based on datacenter virtualization and management technologies. Nanyang Technological University reduced costs by 30 percent by integrating their public and private clouds. The school increased flexibility afforded by the Red Hat and Amazon Web Services cloud solution during computing traffic spikes and provided secure data replication.
Category: Application Development
Recognizing the most outstanding employment of agile methodologies and superior overall performance of creating, maintaining, and deploying successful business applications – whether they are traditional, mobile or cloud – using Red Hat solutions to reduce costs by approximately $195M (USD).
- Winner: Secretariat of Social Development, Oportunidades (SEDESOL Oportunidades): SEDESOL Oportunidades program strives to counteract causes of extreme poverty in Mexico by providing economic incentives for educational, health, and nutritional improvement for families. SEDESOL Oportunidades determined the socioeconomic status of potential beneficiaries through surveys on paper, but the government agency developed a system to allow a virtual application to first, validate the information in real time to determine the eligibility of an applicant and second, minimize service times to potential beneficiaries. With the integration of Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SEDESOL Oportunidades deployed the survey on mobile devices. This reduced the survey response time from two hours to 50 minutes and has saved 1,200 tons of paper to date, as well as an estimated cost reduction in the operation of approximately $195M USD on 15 million surveys in three years. In addition, the department is now incorporating Red Hat JBoss BRMS, Red Hat JBoss Fuse, and Red Hat JBoss Data Grid into a future stage of their project.
Category: Ecosystem and Knowledge Exchange
Recognizing the most flourishing use of Red Hat’s expanding partner ecosystem to create innovative architectures based on Red Hat’s platform, middleware, cloud and/or storage solutions.
- Winner: Hennepin Home Health Care, Inc: Hennepin Home Health Care, Inc. (HHHC) found itself at an IT crossroads. The existing IT infrastructure needed a refresh, but with future healthcare regulations around online billing and record keeping becoming increasingly strict and difficult to anticipate, the new infrastructure needed an unprecedented degree of flexibility. Under unusually tight budget constraints, HHHC enlisted the expertise of Red Hat and Infrasupport, a Red Hat partner. Infrasupport has a long time relationship with HHHC and regularly moves IT challenges from impossible, to success, to routine. Virtualization has been the key to flexibility and Infrasupport proposed a virtualization solution based on Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization with Microsoft Windows guests. With its new virtual infrastructure, HHHC is now positioned to rapidly respond to the unpredictable demands of healthcare regulators, and to try small experiments with new, cutting edge ideas and services and scale them up as opportunities present themselves.
Category: Accelerate, Integrate, Automate
Recognizing the best overall acceleration, integration, and automation of IT workloads using Red Hat products.
- Winner: OSDE Binario: The largest private healthcare company in Argentina, OSDE Binario, sought a more adaptable middleware solution to speed up application development. By building a new architecture with Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, Red Hat JBoss BRMS, Red Hat JBoss Data Grid, and Red Hat JBoss Operations Network, the company can now make changes to applications more rapidly without interrupting user interaction. OSDE can now complete new application projects in less than four weeks instead of the previous minimum of four months. The Red Hat solution brought quicker response times and is OSDE is now able to store 40 customer requests per second and send a response within 60 milliseconds.
- Read the winning submissions and vote for the 2014 Red Hat Innovator of the Year
- More about Red Hat Innovation Awards
- More about Red Hat Summit
- Follow updates from Red Hat Summit Twitter at @RedHatSummit or #RHSummit
- Engage with Red Hat Summit on Facebook
- Visit online press kit for additional resources from Red Hat Summit 2014
Red Hat について
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT. Learn more at http://www.redhat.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to any historical or current fact. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: risks related to delays or reductions in information technology spending; the effects of industry consolidation; the ability of the Company to compete effectively; the integration of acquisitions and the ability to market successfully acquired technologies and products; uncertainty and adverse results in litigation and related settlements; the inability to adequately protect Company intellectual property and the potential for infringement or breach of license claims of or relating to third party intellectual property; the ability to deliver and stimulate demand for new products and technological innovations on a timely basis; risks related to data and information security vulnerabilities; ineffective management of, and control over, the Company’s growth and international operations; fluctuations in exchange rates; and changes in and a dependence on key personnel, as well as other factors contained in our most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q (copies of which may be accessed through the Securities and Exchange Commission’s website at http://www.sec.gov), including those found therein under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations". In addition to these factors, actual future performance, outcomes, and results may differ materially because of more general factors including (without limitation) general industry and market conditions and growth rates, economic and political conditions, governmental and public policy changes and the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. The forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company’s views as of the date of this press release and these views could change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company’s views as of any date subsequent to the date of this press release.