Red Hat innovation awards
We don't like to brag—unless it's about our customers
Our customers make inspiring improvements that affect their lines of business, organizations, and even the global community. Red Hat honors select customers each year through the Red Hat® Innovation Awards program.
Telefónica Colombia replaced its existing platform with Red Hat technology to enhance their core mobile app, Mi Movistar, for more than 21 million users. The ability to develop and deliver valuable new features became especially important when COVID-19 created a sudden need for fully digital service management.
Each year, a panel of judges narrows down a pool of global nominees to 5 Red Hat Innovation Awards winners. Learn more about the 2022 Red Hat Innovation Awards winners' stories.
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) used Red Hat® OpenShift® to manage, scale, and develop hundreds of applications across hybrid cloud infrastructure. A consistent container platform created a 95% reduction in provisioning time and helped CIBC deliver new features and services in half the time.
Mamram, the Center of Computing and Information Systems unit of the Israeli Defense Force (IDF), worked with Red Hat to modernize services at the edge to support military operations across the country. Their use of cloudlet technology with IoT devices helps IDF units react quickly to changing missions in the field.
The United Kingdom’s Department for Work and Pensions used Red Hat technology to simplify access to critical services for more than 20 million citizens. By digitizing and automating processes, they are able to respond more effectively to the unprecedented number of claims created by COVID-19.
Washington Health Benefit Exchange, working with Red Hat partner Deloitte, used container and integration solutions to enhance the state’s online insurance marketplace, Washington Healthplanfinder. They helped record numbers of families enroll in the health coverage they needed during COVID-19.
Red Hat Innovator of the Year
Red Hat Innovation Awards Winners:
Red Hat Innovator of the Year
Red Hat Innovation Awards Winners:
From August to September, customers can nominate themselves for an award, or they can be nominated by others. To request your nomination form, email the Red Hat Customer Reference team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our panel of industry-expert judges will review and score the nominations (an average of 60 per year, based on past data), narrowing them down to the top 5 winning projects and 5 honorable mentions that meet our Innovation Awards criteria for outstanding work. The winners and honorable mentions will be publicly announced and showcased during Red Hat Summit 2022.
From the 5 winners, the 2022 Red Hat Innovator of the Year will be selected by the community through online voting. The winner will be announced during Red Hat Summit 2022.
Read the 2022 Red Hat Innovation Awards terms and conditions for complete details.
Note: Not all countries are eligible. To find out if your country is eligible, go to section 2 of the terms and conditions. English submissions only.
Red Hat Innovation Awards submissions will be judged against 5 criteria, which are listed below. Judges will score each submission, and those that receive the highest scores across all criteria will be the 5 winners and 5 honorable mentions.
- Business impact: How is your project directly benefiting your organization? Is it impacting another line of business or return on investment (ROI)? Do data points show increased productivity, cost, or time savings? In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are especially interested in projects that helped organizations adapt to new ways of working or provided new services to customers during this challenging time. Share details about the project’s measurable impact.
- Digital transformation: Has your organization gone through a migration, optimized your existing IT, integrated apps or business processes, or quickly built more modern apps? Has it moved to the cloud (public, private, or hybrid), and are you using AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google? Clearly articulate why you needed to transform, share details of your journey, and illustrate where your organization is now by showing us the before and after.
- Openness: Is your project leading innovation by building an open source culture, contributing to community projects, fostering DevOps, or promoting diversity, collaboration, and meritocracy? Is the project using open source technology to support a broad range of applications and business services? Tell us about it.
- Community impact or influence: How is your IT making a difference in the lives of others? Are you improving the daily experiences of your customers, end users, or employees? Are you influencing an organization or agency to impact communities or your society?
- Cool factor: Does your project have a uniqueness and distinct vision showing innovation, creativity, and originality that we haven’t seen or heard of before?
Red Hat Innovation Awards winners will receive:
- An opportunity to participate in activities during Red Hat Summit.
- Inclusion in the Red Hat Innovation Awards winner announcement.
- Promotion through Red Hat’s website, social media channels, and marketing campaigns.
- Publicity in top industry publications.
- A chance to be included in other Red Hat Innovators in the Open activities throughout the year.
August 2, 2021: Nominations open
Sept. 13, 2021: Last day for submissions
October 2021: Winners and honorable mentions notified
May 2022: Voting for Innovator of the Year begins
May 2022: Red Hat Innovation Awards winners, honorable mentions, and Red Hat Innovator of the Year recognized at Red Hat Summit
Ashesh Badani, Senior Vice President, Cloud Platforms, Red Hat
Stefanie Chiras, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Red Hat Enterprise Linux business unit, Red Hat
Leigh Day, Vice President, Marketing Communications, Red Hat
Sean Michael Kerner, Freelance Journalist
Alberto Iglesias Fraga, Deputy director, DISRUPTORES E INNOVADORES (D+I) at EL ESPAÑOL
Marco Bill-Peter, SVP, PnT Customer Experience and Operations (CXnO), Red Hat
Terri Hall, Vice President, Global Partners and Alliances, Red Hat
Mithun T. Dhar, Vice President & GM, Developer Business Unit, Red Hat
Hans Roth, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Global Services, Red Hat
Jay Lyman, Senior Research Analyst, Cloud Native and DevOps at 451 Research
Open source fuels innovation. This fact is exemplified best by Red Hat’s customers, who are using open source technologies to change the game. We’re proud to call them "innovators in the open" and share their stories.