Top 5 OpenShift and Kubernetes guides
According to Red Hat's 2021 Global Tech Outlook, 30% of information technology (IT) leaders and decision makers out of 1,470 respondents said that a digital transformation strategy is their number one nontechnical funding priority. From the perspective of application transformation and delivery as a part of this digital transformation effort, migrating monolithic, legacy applications to cloud-native applications is the epitome of these transformation activities.
Cloud-native applications consist of four different pillars: containerization, microservices, DevOps, and Continuous Integration/Continuous Development (CI/CD). The Kubernetes platform is the de facto orchestration platform for containers while the other three components are deeply integrated into the platform itself. Red Hat OpenShift is a popular Kubernetes enterprise solution.
As we enter 2021, we will observe more industries start to adopt container and digital transformation strategies. According to Brian Gracely, Senior Director of Product Strategy at Red Hat, adoption of Kubernetes-based strategies can help to scale and develop applications faster, and support hybrid and multi-cloud strategy.
Here at Enable Sysadmin, we want to inform our readers about best practices for adopting and succeeding with Kubernetes. Check out our top Kubernetes and OpenShift articles of the past year. You may find a bit of practical information that you can put into your best practices today.
- How to run a Kubernetes cluster on your laptop - There is a saying in IT: Don't deploy and test directly in your production environment. Did you know you can run a Kubernetes cluster right on your laptop? Running and testing a Kubernetes cluster will provide a safe and flexible environment to develop, test, and deploy before actually moving into a cloud environment.
- OpenShift tips: How to recover a lost kubeadmin password for an OpenShift 4 cluster - You just installed OpenShift, and your installation failed. No worries! There is an easy way to recover a kubeadmin password when that happens.
- OpenShift tip: Resolve a terminating state issue - OpenShift is a powerful platform, and it introduces numerous safety and error prevention mechanisms like finalizer. However, one of the issues you may encounter is your project getting stuck in the terminating state. Read this article to understand how you can troubleshoot the terminating state for an OpenShift project.
- Troubleshooting handshake errors in OpenShift - A handshake error due to an invalid TLS/SSL certificate is a commonly-encountered problem when you work with any cloud platform, and Red Hat OpenShift is no exception. You will know how to fix TLSHandshake errors for the OpenShift command line interface (CLI) after reading this article.
- Exploring OpenShift Source-to-Image using Git webhooks - Source-to-Image (S2I) is a process that takes application source code stored in a Source Control Management (SCM) tool like GitHub or GitLab, combines the code with a runtime image, and then builds and deploys the application to an OpenShift cluster. And with Git webhooks, the entire process can be automated. Learn how you can achieve this with the few simple steps shown in this article.
That is it! After reading these articles about OpenShift and Kubernetes, you are better positioned to become an experienced sysadmin working with these powerful cloud platforms.