Select a language
We are excited to announce the general availability of Red Hat JBoss Web Server 5.0 for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the technology preview of transactions processing with Narayana. JWS 5 is available through zip, RPM, Maven repository, and the Red Hat Container Catalog.
Red Hat JBoss Web Server combines market-leading open source technologies with enterprise capabilities to provide a single solution for large-scale websites and lightweight web applications. It combines the world's most deployed web server (Apache) with the top servlet engine (Tomcat) and excellent support for middleware (ours).
- A servlet container in accordance with the Java Servlet Specification. JBoss Web Server contains Apache Tomcat 9.
The Apache Tomcat Native Library
- A Tomcat library, which improves Tomcat scalability, performance, and integration with native server technologies.
- An extension for the JBoss Web Server used for securely storing passwords and other sensitive information used by a JBoss Web Server.
The mod_cluster library
- A library that allows communication between Apache Tomcat and the Apache HTTP Server’s mod_proxy_cluster module. This allows the Apache HTTP Server to be used as a load balancer for JBoss Web Server.
New Features and Enhancements
Based on the new and shiny Tomcat 9.0.7:
- HTTP/2 Support
- Servlet 4.0 Specification
- OpenSSL for TLS with JSSE connectors (NIO and NIO2)
- NIO connector is the default for HTTP/1.1 when tomcat-native is installed
- TLS virtual hosting (SNI) support
Also these enhancements:
- Support for embedded distributions (fat jar deployments)
- Asynchronous support NIO2
- Transactions processing through Narayana and DBCP2 (tech preview)
- System daemon integration scripts provided for the Red Hat Enterprise Linux users installing from .zip archives
- The tomcat-vault installation process has been improved
- The vault.properties file for tomcat-vault can be stored outside JWS_HOME
- Change in manager and host-manager webapp behavior
- Change to mod_cluster 1.4 - a connector needs to be specified
- Allows the configuration of multiple properties files
- Logging JBoss Web Server with log4j deprecated
- Tomcat embedded included in the Red Hat JBoss Web Server 5.0 maven repository
Introducing Narayana (Technical Preview)
Narayana on JBoss Web Server is currently in a technical preview status and has no official accompanying documentation at this time.
The Narayana transactions tookit provides support for applications developed using the following standards-based transaction protocols:
- Web-Service Transactions
- REST Transactions
Narayana on JBoss Web Server is being developed for integration with Red Hat Process Automation Manager. Narayana on JBoss Web Server also provides a connection with PostgreSQL servers using a Tomcat JDBC connection pool.
For more information, see the JBoss Web Server documentation.