What is business process management?
Business process management (BPM) is the practice of modeling, analyzing, and optimizing end-to-end business processes to help meet your strategic business goals. BPM methodology can be applied to tasks and processes that are often repeated, ongoing, or predictable.
A business process is a set of activities that help a business reach a specific goal. Using BPM, you can evaluate your business processes to find ways to improve efficiency, and reduce costs and errors.
BPM is a continuous process that leads to improvement over time. With BPM, you can eliminate ad hoc workflow management practices and optimize business operations in order to deliver better products and services to your customers.
- Design and analyze: As a first step, you’ll need to analyze the process as it currently exists. Consider what works or where problems exist, as well as how it relates to other tasks or processes.
- Model: Look for ways to improve the process and design how it would ideally happen. Then model how the process would work with a variety of potential scenarios and variables.
- Execute: Once the process has been modeled, you can implement changes. Be sure to document what has changed and why.
- Monitor: After your new process has been implemented, you’ll need to monitor it to see if there is an improvement. Look for data to support whether or not there is any progress. Do you see an increase in efficiency? Have costs gone down? Are products being delivered faster?
- Optimize and automate: Once you have applied BPM methodology to a process, you’ll need to continue to monitor and optimize it over time. BPM is an ongoing process, and you should regularly be finding ways to improve. If the new process is working well, consider if any tasks can be automated.
BPM and automation
BPM is not a technology—it is a practice performed by people. However, BPM software and automation technology can be used to help implement identified process improvements. BPM is the first step into widespread business process automation.
Automation helps make your business more efficient by using software to perform tasks in order to reduce cost, complexity, and errors. While BPM is the methodology that allows you to better understand your end-to-end business processes, business process automation can be used to continually check and evolve your process efficiencies against those initiatives.
Why automate your business with Red Hat
The focus of IT has shifted from serving internal needs, like efficiency and cost control, to engaging with external customers and creating new business opportunities. That’s why Red Hat believes the traditional business automation model needs to evolve. Instead of focusing solely on streamlining processes, businesses need to develop new strategies to automate the business itself.
Red Hat works with the greater open source community on automation technologies. Our engineers help improve features, reliability, and security to make sure your business and IT performs and remains stable and secure.
Our solutions, services, and training give you the control you need to automate your business so you can focus on innovation and moving forward.